Sunday 1 February 2015

Washing of the Feet

Washing of the Feet...of all the celebration the Catholic Church celebrates, this is the most difficult for me to participate in. I remember my first full conscious participation back in 1996. Watching then, Fr. Albert Sanchez, bent over washing the feet of the 12 men. Tears streamed down my face non-stop. I was grateful to be at the choir loft as it would have been difficult dealing with this in the presence of the full church. It was never about Jesus doing it, it was about his mandate to do as He does. How can I say I love Him and want to follow him, when this was an act I deeply felt revulsion for.

Interestingly, I remember clearly as a teen how I would tell my friends "I'd die for you." "I've got your back." "You can count on me." By God's grace I was never ever put in a position where I had to do it. So now as I experience my nth Holy Thursday Celebration with my son on my lap, I'm not as tearful, but it strikes my heart just as deeply.

The experiences of God's manifestations through His mercy and love in my life are overwhelmingly, especially when looked at after it happens. Does that make sense? Almost 20 years now of being aware of my creator and yet I fail to love unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment